Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, Lessons Learned, and All That Jazz

Trying to move posts from another blog to this one...dates be damned.

It’s the final hours of the year, and I’m left as I always am: pondering. Reflective. I don’t think I have ever felt more sentimentally attached to a year as I do this one. I am, in no way, the same person I was at this time last year. God knows 2010 was a rough year for my family and I- and though there were definitely things I wished for- I was just happy to have made it to and through the holidays together. Little did I know that the upcoming year would provide me with memories and experiences I never thought I would acquire. They weren’t always beautiful, but they were always, always essential. I was inspired, I was loved, I fell in love, I felt beautiful thoughts, I endured painful consequences, I read lovely books, I laughed at jokes- some witty, others not so much, I listened to music and sang songs that stirred my soul. So, in celebration of saying goodbye to 2011, here is a small, hindsight list of lessons that personified this year for me:




- Don’t run away. Even when you think it’s easier or will bring you more joy. It won’t.



- Put positivity out into the world. It usually comes back 10 fold.



- Every day may not be beautiful, but there is beauty in every day.



- When given the choice- choose happiness. Always.



- Furthermore, never rely on someone or something to decide your happiness. Only YOU are in charge of that, and it is a state of mind you must CHOOSE (see above).



- Don’t spend your present worrying about a future you can’t control.



- Do things that make you HAPPY.



- Concurrently, surround yourself with people who make you happy and lift you UP, not the ones who bring you DOWN.



- Own your feelings. Talk about them, write them down, whatever it takes for you to identify and acknowledge them.



- Don’t just give love with the expectation of getting love in return. When you truly love, it’s not a choice, and it’s given without stipulation.



- Believe that it’s okay to not know some things. Life is a learning process. As long as you are always striving to further that knowledge, that’s all that matters.



- NEVER SETTLE for less than you deserve or REST on what you have already achieved. Growth doesn’t happen by standing still.



- Sometimes you have to walk away from what you WANT in order to get what you NEED.



- Allow yourself (and others) time. Don’t rush things. Just let situations play out.



- SMILE. You might be surprised by what it does for you and others.



- Give (honest) compliments. Sometimes, the littlest kindness can make the difference between someone and their breaking point.



- When people say relationships are hard work—they aren’t kidding.



- Don’t lose yourself in someone else, no matter how happy they make you. That happiness, much like a bubble, could burst at any moment and you still have to know yourself outside that protective, shiny barrier.



- Always be yourself. As Dr.Suess said: People who mind don’t matter and people who matter don’t mind.



- Make goals and celebrate little successes.



- The only way to push PAST fear is to push THROUGH it.



- Being fearless isn’t having no fears. No- being fearless is being scared to death, but jumping anyway.



- Life is hard and crazy and beautiful and chaotic and amazing. Even in the moments where you think you are literally breaking apart piece by piece. Because there will come a time when you realize that pain and those scars have made you who you are right now. And what a beautifully broken person that is!



Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2012 is wonderful for you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment