Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Home

Home. That’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of you. Being with you feels like coming home after being gone for a while. You feel wanted, cared for, safe, like you belong, like you have renewed purpose. So much comfort exists between us. Lying with my head, just so, in the crook of your arm and your chest; the other wrapped around me as if creating a barrier between us and the outside world. I can feel your heartbeat on the side of my cheek- a rhythm I want so badly to memorize. Our breathing even seems to be in unison. Talking, laughing, learning- it all comes so easily between us as we exist in that moment. Falling asleep, knowing there is no other place you would rather be at that moment, is perfection. As the sunlight seeps through the small slit in the curtains to our right, it shines a flawless, golden ray across us; growing larger as the day gets older just outside the window. Soon, the room itself seems to have a sheer glow about it-magical. I can hear you snoring beside me, my head still nestled against your chest. I watch you, see how peaceful you are, feel your warmth. My fingers trace the outline of your jaw, trying to soak you in and savor every moment. Your eyes flutter a bit at my touch, opening slightly- looking down at me. Two lips press against my forehead, and you pull me in closer. I wonder if I have ever felt more content. Have I ever felt more complete? And yet again, I find myself just wanting to exist here with you. Can’t we make this moment last forever? We both wish we could. It’s evident in so many ways, from our attempts to stretch out our days to the way we hold each other, knowing good-bye’s will come too soon. I let the magic of the morning wash over me and then…there it is again…that feeling. I was home- and I didn’t want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment