Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bird of Summer

You could be my bird of summer, just like the song sings. Gliding lovely in nature about my existence, enjoying the view and the feeling of sun on your back, but sensing the winter looming- inevitable. And I could cry and beg, plead with you not to go- tears flowing freely like the memories we’ve made. I could give you an ultimatum- all or nothing- with or without. But, I know where that would leave me in the end. And I would deserve that for making you choose between school , your dreams, everything you’ve ever worked for and myself. I know greatness awaits you. I know that when the cold winds and swirling snow threaten your flight, you will persevere. Because that’s what you do- you persevere. So, I will not attempt to clip your wings or harness your ambition in the cramped quarters of a fraudulent birdcage. Instead, I will relish in everything you are now and watch with wonder at the person you become. I will fill you up with every good thought about you and me and us- tucking them away like little pieces of Spring inside your heart. I will support you. I will shine in the glow of your excitement. I will listen to your fears and concerns, your voice unsteady and mildly strained. Then I will try my best to chase those thoughts away, back to their dark corners- command that they stay-wait for the confidence to resume. I will tell you to go. I will love you more than I love my own selfish wants and desires. I will stand still knowing that I am better for just having known you and all of the wonderful things you’ve taught me- about life and love and beauty. I will watch you and celebrate as you fly away, only breaking apart on the inside, knowing that if we are destined to be together-if it’s God’s will- you will find your way back. To home. To me.




Bird of Summer by A Fine Frenzy




No comments:

Post a Comment