Monday, June 11, 2012

Breaking Free

Nothing fits, and I’m railing against my skin. I want out, but you just can’t seem to notice. And, I told you fifteen hundred times that I didn’t want that picture there, but you hung it anyway while my back was turned. You set your footprints over my room, and like a nymph high on Mr. Clean you transformed it from chaotic to pristine. But, I never wanted that. No! Don’t you listen to me anymore? Do you hear the words that come out of my mouth? The ones I’m feeling rest unsaid, seething in the back of my throat. They linger there because I know they’ll serve no purpose here. I’m drowning, my hand raised above the surface that’s slowly drifting away, but you just watch- looking up from your section of the sand momentarily to make sure I’m just drowning, not dying. But, why didn’t you ever think to teach me to swim? And, should I start to drown, you are at my side. My knights in shining armor. Yet, don’t you see? All that metal turns to rust from being in the water. You don’t belong there. It’s my ocean. That’s your land. I’m trying to make it in this scary place, and instead of watching me suffer, and tarnishing your shine, why can’t you just support me enough to release my anchor?



No comments:

Post a Comment